Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Digital Curation

It is already week 3 in EME 6414, phew! This week focuses on Curation and Intellectual Property. I got startted by looking through a Spark Presentation about digital curation. The presentation opened with a neat illustration on content curation-- ways of organizing and sharing content on a topic. Content curation can have some different forms. Aggregation, distillation, elevation, mash up, and chronology are each an approach to content curation.

I thought the meanings of these approaches were mostly self explanatory. Those forms also made me consider how I may have already seen content curation being represented somewhow online in each form. An example I did not think of (but should have) was bookmarking webpage tabs, though I  definitely make an effort of doing this. Typically keeping some bookmarked tabs with current and important information pulled up helps me stay organized while I am working online. The struggle is usually not to keep a ton of things open all at once on my laptop!

Pinterest and Goodreads were a couple of tools mentioned in the Spark presentation that I already have some practice using. Pinterest is a fun way to keep ideas and references of photos, links, and even some tutorials about whatever topic you can think of to search. I believe most of my pins relate to the boards I created on Pinterest so far about pets, projects, art, photography, hairstyles, education, Bible verses, food or drinks, and holidays or special events. 

Goodreads was actually a website I am glad I just chose to try out during my previous summer session course on Learning Analytics. The Goodreads website lets you create an online bookshelf with ratings, comments, and suggested books by genres/your friends' choices. Clearly there are numerous ways to discover a lot of good books whenever I check back on there. Flickr is probably the next online tool I am interested in trying out soon. Organizing photo presentations is a fun task and something I could use some practice in further.   

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good exploration plan for this week. I'm hoping you'll get active in our GoodReads group since you have experience with the tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and me too! Oh man, I just realized there is a profile section on Goodreads so I will definitely keep going through their site some more...

    ReplyDelete

Course Debrief

Phew, this is my final blog post for the summer session with Web 2.0 EME 6414! It really has been a productive and interactive past six week...