Friday, July 13, 2018

Linked In

Another new tool, or at least for me, that we are looking at in our Web 2.0 course is Linked In. I was already hoping to get an account started soon as my internship then graduation are approaching in the near future after this fall semester. (What an exciting, slightly nerve racking thought to know that my Masters degree program is flying!)

Getting a Linked In account set up was actually something a number of classmates and friends had suggested I should do as well. When first logging into the platform, it almost reminded me of a more professionally centered version of Facebook. I was also glad to notice a number of people I already knew on there through graduate school, previous work experiences, and family/friend relations. 

I definitely have a fair amount of content to add into my account yet but am glad I joined when I did. I needed a chance to get some time becoming familiar with their feaures and can now continue over time with building a network of connections. It appears like a good tool to keep checking while finding/developing a network of somewhat personal to professional connections. I also plan to work on adding further content to my profile next as I alread have some materials available to upload. It additionally looks like portfolio sample items can be added on to your account. This will be a helpful feature as I finish working an internship and completing Florida State's instructional design program.

One interesting point I saw being mentioned in course discussions this week related to how different occupational fields are using Linked In, or not really using it at all. I am sure Linked In could have a big part in some organization's decisions about hiring their candidates. It does not seem like many K-12 teachers necessarily are using Linked In though. From my background in education, this is probably due to a lack of time and school districts not relying on it to making many hiring decisions. However, I think that connections and professional network outreach are promoted well by Linked In. These are clearly worthwhile opportunities to participate in as I continue with my student level then professional work among the education and instructional design fields!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Course Debrief

Phew, this is my final blog post for the summer session with Web 2.0 EME 6414! It really has been a productive and interactive past six week...